Tap into Trends to Help Shoppers Make Breakfast a Daily Habit
Eight in 10 Americans (82%) agree breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but just 57% eat breakfast daily. Knowing the benefits of breakfast, dietitians are quick to encourage this all-important meal, but a key to helping shoppers make breakfast part of their routine is understanding their preferences. A recent Quaker survey* investigated this topic – learn about America’s top breakfast trends and how to tap into these to help shoppers make breakfast a daily habit:
- Nearly half (47%) of consumers prefer savory flavors for breakfast. Use social media or in-store demos to provide inspiration for savory breakfasts, like sweet potato hash, vegetable frittatas or a savory breakfast bowl.
- Favorite trends include adding protein to breakfast (58%) and on-the-go options (58%). Give shoppers convenient ideas to boost their protein intake, such as adding a sliced hardboiled egg to avocado toast, preparing Quaker instant oatmeal cups with milk or spreading bagels with nut butter.
- Top breakfast priorities are flavor (45%), ease and time of preparation (44% and 39%, respectively) and nutrition (40%). Use store communications to share options that are easy, healthy and delicious, like breakfast sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, smoothies or make-ahead options like overnight oats.
- More than half (58%) chose instant oats as their favorite type of oatmeal, followed by quick 1-minute oats (41%), old-fashioned (26%) and steel cut (21%). Remind shoppers that all types of oats are 100% whole grain, and ounce per ounce, all provide similar amounts of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Use shelf talkers, end caps or displays to point shoppers to these whole grains.
- Four in five have breakfast at home (83%) and eat the same thing no matter the season (81%). However, they aren’t opposed to spicing things up: 60% love trying new foods and 57% like to get creative with breakfast. Offer easy ways to spice up familiar favorites on social media videos or media segments.
Additionally, encourage customers to share their oat-spiring recipes in Quaker’s Oats Across America sweepstakes. To enter, they simply need to submit online at CookWithQuaker.com an original recipe that uses Quaker Old Fashioned, Instant or other Quaker oats products for a chance to win $1000 in one of Quaker’s daily drawings. Entries will not be judged. Each recipe submitted could be in the Quaker Oats cookbook. Please see Official Rules for complete details at website. Promotion ends 12/31/19.
For resources to encourage shoppers to make breakfast part of their morning routine, check out the Quaker RD Toolkit.
*1000 American general population 18+