Sweets & Snacks Expo – An Opportunity for Retail Dietitians
Did you know that candy and snack items generate more than $22 billion in grocery sales each year? These treats are one of life’s simple pleasures – a fun part of many people’s lives!
Candy and snacks are a thriving industry and the Sweets & Snacks Expo offers nearly 4 acres of product innovation by more than 630 exhibitors in one place. The Specialty Market will include items that fall under the following categories which may be of interest to retail RDs: free-from, all-natural, kosher-certified, gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan and more. Additionally, RDs can see the initiatives candy makers are taking to provide transparent nutritional information and portion-controlled products.
Why are sweets & snacks so important to supermarkets?
- Sweets and snacks are major sales drivers: in 2014, these two categories were responsible for 10 percent of total store sales and 15 percent of the overall growth.
- The selling power of sweets and snacks is solid and growing: collectively, sweets and snacks categories grew 3.2 percent in 2014 — far exceeding total store growth at 2.1 percent.
Registered dietitians who are interested in learning more about how candy can fit into a happy, balanced life are welcome to attend an NCA research briefing covering American candy consumption patterns and health, exciting science on cocoa flavanols, and confectionery industry responsibility initiatives. You can also participate in a tour of the Sweets & Snacks Expo at McCormick Place in Chicago, IL on May 19th. All dietitians are invited to stay for the entire Expo.
Conference sessions that may be of particular interest to retail RDs include:
- The Right and Wrong Way to Address Obesity. David Freedman, renowned journalist, has studied and published numerous articles on addressing the obesity issues in the USA on various fronts. David will be sharing his findings and recommendations on candy and snacks.
- Snacking and Treating: What We Learned that Will Surprise You. Join Larry Levin, Executive Vice President of IRI Worldwide as he reviews the key consumer, shopper and retailer changes that are affecting the candy and snack world.
- The Facts About Online Grocery Shopping: Who's buying Candy and Snacks, and how Much? presented by Michelle Cote, Vice President of Research at MyWebGrocer. Online grocery shopping is forecasted to grow by leaps and bounds, but what's the real (not just forecasted) impact on candy and snacks? Get the hard data and stats you need to start formulating your strategy for grocery ecommerce.
- Building a Relationship with the In-Store Dietitian. Phil Lempert, founder and editorof SupermarketGuru.com will help the audience understand the new role of the in-store dietitian, and how they are gaining authority with shoppers and retailers, and what candy and snack companies can do to provide wellness facts to these new influencers.