Summer Smoothies: Help Shoppers Boost Their Blend
Summer is officially in full swing, bringing warmer weather and longer days. With the change of season, your shoppers may be looking for refreshing options to stay cool. Nothing beats the heat like smoothies that also provide a way to enjoy nutrition at home or on-the-go.
When working with shoppers, here are some key trends and insights to keep in mind:
- The top ingredients for building smoothies include (Food and Nutrition Journal 2018):
- Fruit (fresh, frozen and/or canned)
- Millennials and Baby Boomers are more likely to drink smoothies than Gen Z or Gen X (Iconoculture Smoothie Drinkers Data 2018).
- Frequent smoothie drinkers (more than once a week):
- Drink smoothies for health-related reasons and because they view smoothies as convenient
- Are more likely to be health conscious than less frequent smoothie drinkers (Food and Nutrition Journal 2018).
Smoothies are a great way to add more nutrition and taste to your shoppers’ eating habits - click here to share these tips with them for inspiration.
- Freeze Your Fruit: Instead of tossing fruit that is starting to brown, freeze it. It will keep its nutritional value and flavor and act as an ice cube, chilling smoothies.
- Include Healthy Fats: 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or 1/3 of a medium avocado provide unsaturated fat, and help give smoothies a creamy texture.
- Add Protein: Mix in Greek yogurt or milk to help make smoothies satisfying. If you prefer plant-based dairy alternatives, look for an option with protein, like soy or pea milk.
- Find New Flavors: Explore unique tastes by adding herbs and spices like ginger or turmeric to blends.
- Up the Fiber: Give your favorite smoothie blend a boost by adding a ½ cup of 100% whole grain Quaker oats for four additional grams of fiber, as well as a rich and thick texture.
Here’s an easy guide you can use with your shoppers:
Another great way to help sell smoothies in stores, is to look for opportunities to cross-promote key ingredients in store. For example, now through August 3, encourage shoppers to look out for a $1.00 off produce coupon* with a purchase of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats or Quaker Quick Oats (18 ounce). This promotional offer creates an opportunity to merchandise oats with other common smoothie ingredients as a solution for shoppers. For more ways your shoppers can enjoy smoothies, visit: https://www.quakeroats.com/smoothies
And, for more resources to help you engage with customers, including downloadable recipe inspiration and meal planning worksheets, check out the Quaker Center of Excellence RD Toolkit.