Setting Your Mind on Success
By Shari Steinbach, MS RDN, RDBA Contributing Editor
As we move into 2021 you may be thinking about what you’d like to achieve during the new year. To make sure you reach your goals, it’s important to set your mind on success. Here are five key ways to help guarantee that you will accomplish what you set out to do:
- Articulate exactly what you’d like to achieve. You need to have a definite idea of what it is you want to accomplish. Write your goals down and put the list in a visible location. Make your goals crystal clear and attach a timeline for when you want to complete them.
- Put together a strategy for how you will achieve your goals. Think first about your strengths and weaknesses. Ask yourself what you need to do and what you need to learn to tackle your goals. Create a strategic plan that leverages your talents while seeking ways to sharpen your skills in needed areas. Consider all possible outcomes. Spend time on making a realistic plan toward success and remember to make your goals SMART – specific, measurable, attainable relevant and time bound.
- Write down your to-do list and get started. Once your strategy is in place, right down each action you need to accomplish and in what order. Consider what are the most urgent tasks and prioritize them. Pay attention to the present and what you have to do now. Try to focus on one task at a time to avoid being overwhelmed.
- Learn from experienced experts. There are others that have more expertise or who have gone through what you are trying to do. Learn from them to help avoid unnecessary pitfalls and delays. Think about your network of professionals and/or those experts who you may want to reach out to. Read books, attend conferences and use social media to connect and find people. Propose a virtual coffee hour to share ideas and inspiration or ask someone to be your mentor. Learn from others as you create your own destination.
- Stay engaged. It’s important to remember that the journey to reaching your goals is an ongoing activity. There will be twists and turns during the year but keep yourself on track. Set aside regular time to review your goals and make any needed adjustments. Keep focused on those goals that are relevant, add value and remain a necessity to you. Stay positive and remember that everyone who has achieved greatness or fulfillment in life started out with a dream… An unlimited power to create lies within you!