Retail RD Specific Interview Questions
By RDBA Executive Director Annette Maggi, MS, RDN, LD, FAND
The skill set required to be effective as a retail dietitian varies significantly from traditional roles within the profession. If you’re the hiring manager, you want to ensure you’re asking questions that address the breadth of skills needed in the role. If you’re being interviewed, you want to be well prepared to address your expertise and experience in areas that align with the retail RD role.
The following questions are designed to help both hiring managers and those seeking retail RD roles nail the interview process:
1. Please provide an example of a time when you had to multitask at work, managing multiple projects at the time.
2. Describe the ideal work environment.
3. What experience do you have with media? Are you media trained?
4. How have you leveraged social media to educate consumers on nutrition or to market nutrition services?
5. How would you define the differences between writing for a wellness consumer audience vs. a disease management consumer?
a. What is your experience writing about health and wellness for consumers?
6, When was the last time you gave a presentation to a consumer audience? What was the topic? How frequently do you conduct similar presentations?
7. How would you describe your cooking skills?
8. What food biases do you have?
a. Do you feel comfortable promoting all areas of the store?
9. What do you see as the top concerns consumers have when putting a meal together for their families?
10. What nutrition trends are top of mind for today’s shoppers?
11. Please describe a partnership you’ve built with a community organization.
12. What experience do you have in partnering with commodity groups or food companies?
13. How would you promote solutions in the retail setting?
14. Provide an example of where you’ve established and reported against success metrics for a project or initiative? How and to whom were results communicated?