Powerful Pairing – Frozen Foods + Fresh Produce
Most retailers have created popular promotional campaigns to highlight seasonal fruits and veggies from local farms. To assist your stores with these efforts and to help drive sales across the store, consider the power of pairing frozen foods with seasonal, local produce. With a post pandemic focus on meals that provide health and nutrition attributes, combined with the ongoing need for convenience, consumers will appreciate new ways to pair up favorite frozen foods with produce for quick and nourishing meals. Here are some creative ways to provide meaningful solutions:
- Breakfast options – Shoppers won’t need to grab a fast-food biscuit, if you point out the range of healthy frozen breakfast items available at your stores. Help them discover simple, balanced breakfast pairings to get their day off to a healthy start by providing a list of frozen products to stock in their freezer, and share examples of convenient product pairings. For example - high protein waffles and fresh berries, steel cut oatmeal with peaches, or Life Cuisine Egg Bites with melon.
- Use the grill – Shoppers might think the only way to cook frozen pizza is in the oven. But when grilled, a pizza crust becomes nicely browned with smoke infused flavor. Create a social video educating consumer how to cook a frozen pizza on the grill and provide options for adding fresh produce toppings to pump up the nutrition. Include colorful peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, summer squash, fresh tomatoes and herbs like basil and oregano. (Or you can share these instructions for grilling Jack’s Pizza and a how-to video that can be found here.) Also, grilled fruit like peach halves, or pineapple slices, make a delicious dessert.
- Camping cuisine – The 2021 Annual North American Camping Report indicates a significant rise in the number of families who are camping. During the camping season, help ease the burden of planning and preparing campsite meals by creating a menu and store shopping list. Include items such as a Stouffer’s Macaroni and Cheese which can be easily cooked in a camper oven while these Foil Packet Veggies can be cooked on the grill, or provide recipes for frozen fish fillets and veggies such as local zucchini, asparagus, peppers, and corn in foil packs.
- Salads and sides – Family-sized frozen meals and pizzas can save meal prep time while providing a wide variety of tasty options, but consumers may still want to create a simple salad or side dish that includes seasonal produce. Suggest ideas such as California Pizza Kitchen Frozen BBQ Chicken Pizza with this Grapefruit Avocado Salad, or frozen enchiladas with a Chipotle Corn Salad.
- Snacking plates – Charcuterie boards and snack plates have become a fun way to enjoy a casual meal with family or friends. Provide simple instructions for customers to assemble their own unique boards using a variety of fresh and frozen items from your store. How about a “comfort food” board with new Stouffer’s Bites - bite-size versions of lasagna, pot pie or mac and cheese. Add fresh blanched veggies, seasoned crackers, and a variety of fruit. A Mediterranean plate would also be popular with Lean Cuisine Spinach Artichoke Ravioli, avocado hummus, naan bread, fresh vegetable for dipping and some dried fruit.