Let Pinterest Help Market Your Services
By Shari Steinbach, MS RDN, RDBA Contributing Editor
Many of us think about Pinterest when we’re searching for a recipe, decorating a room or planning a wedding shower, but this important social media platform can also be an effective way to market your health and wellness services. People go to Pinterest to find new ideas, get help with a project or solve a problem. Often their search relates to a food, health or meal planning issue, and these are the type of solutions you offer!
A major benefit of using Pinterest is to reach a large target audience. In 2019 there were an average of 335 million+ monthly active Pinterest users and 71% of them are female. Also, 80% of U.S. mothers who use the internet, use Pinterest. Even more compelling is the fact that 98% of Pinners report trying new things they find on Pinterest and 77% of weekly Pinners have discovered a new brand or product. Here are some tips for starting and using Pinterest effectively:
- Set up a Pinterest business account if you don’t have one. If you have a social media team and this is already done, discuss how you can incorporate your expertise and ideas to add value.
- Browse Pinterest boards for keywords and trending topics related to retail and investigate what your competitors may be doing to attract and engage their followers.
- Document the ways you can help potential customers. Perhaps by providing quick assembly dinner ideas, seasonal produce tips, or exciting private brand product information. Once you have honed in on key topics, look at how they might fit into boards such as, Make Mealtime Easy, Seasonal Produce Tips or 5 Ingredient Recipes (with store brands).
- Use Pinterest’s training tools and marketing options to help you be successful. For example, this 30-minute webinar entitled “Creative Strategies for Pinterest” can help you create pins that are interesting and actionable.
- Get the photos right. Beautiful food pictures are great but long, vertical photos work best. You might try using a designing site like Canva for assistance. You’ll need an account first, but when you log into Canva and search for Pinterest, it will find the right height and width for a Pin in Pinterest. You’ll just have to add your photo, text, and a link to your website.
- Promote your highest-performing pins so they get seen more often. Just click on the red “Promote” button that’s visible on any of the pins in your business account. It takes seconds to set up and can dramatically increase web traffic.
- Add the Pinterest URL to your Facebook page and other social media accounts as well as to your videos, blogs, podcast or articles to make it easy to find.
Whether you are trying to drive sales, grow brand awareness or increase consumer web engagement, Pinterest is an excellent social media channel to help you market your services.