Help Shoppers Cook Once, Eat (at least) Twice with Turkey
Fall’s hectic schedule can make family meal time a challenge for your shoppers. The Food Marketing Institute’s U.S. Grocery Shopper Trends 2017 cautions that as U.S. households struggle to manage complex logistics and time-constrained schedules, meals together at home are often the casualty. Cooking once and eating (at least) twice can be an easy dinner fix for even the busiest of families to safely enjoy within three to four days when refrigerated.
Helping your shoppers think creatively and strategically about their weeknight dinners is a win-win for them and your retailer. Promote best practices for meal planning and include options such as turkey so it's easy for them to cook once and get several delicious and healthy meals out of it to serve during the week. Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RDN, of Janice Cooks and NTF Advisory Board member recommends one pot meals. Her Fall favorite is Pumpkin Turkey Chili. “This warm, comforting chili is chock-full of seasonal flavors. I make a big pot, then eat it with cornbread and salad the first day, wrap it in a tortilla the next, and toss it with rice the day after that,” shares Janice.
For Karen Buch, RDN, LDN of Nutrition Connections and NTF Advisory Board member, Tuesday is Turkey Taco Night. “I always make enough turkey taco mixture to use in several extra meals later in the week,” notes Karen. She suggests introducing a Cook Once, Eat (more than) Twice program, or “Meal Series,” to shoppers:
- Create a Meal Series Club and feature a new kit each week.
- Promote through social channels and feature in your blog, magazine articles and media spots.
- Encourage shoppers to share their favorite meal series with an Instagram contest. They can share their favorite recipes and re-inventions throughout the week to win special discounts at the store.
- Set up an in-store display with recipe cards and ingredients, as well as utensils and storage containers to make a one-stop shopping experience for customers. Show guests how to re-invent Turkey Taco Night by including some of these ideas:
- Turkey Taco salads: fresh peppers, tomatoes, corn and chickpeas
- Turkey Taco nachos: corn tortilla chips, 4-cheese Mexican blend and black beans
- Turkey Taco flatbread pizza: flatbread, taco or picante sauce, sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, fresh cilantro
- Turkey Taco pasta: penne, beans, spinach, cilantro and fresh salsa
Preparing meals with turkey, a lean and versatile protein, is the perfect solution for your time-stretched customers. As a host for a variety of flavors, turkey delivers the taste, convenience and variety that will meet all meal demands.