Blended Burger Project™: Retail RD Recipe Contest
Enter now to win $1,000 stipend to education conference of your choice!
This year marks the 5th anniversary of the James Beard Foundation and Mushroom Council’s Blended Burger Project, a foodservice initiative that encourages chefs to consider and menu more plant-forward, sustainable dishes. This year, the Blended Burger Project is super-sized with competitions in multiple categories including, for the first time, consumers and retail dietitians.
Plant-forward eating is on trend, with grocery shoppers seeking solutions when they visit your stores. Are you ready to cash in on this trend and sell solutions to shoppers by joining the Blended Burger Project™? After all, who doesn’t love a good burger? Your shoppers will love that burger even more if it puts more plants on the plate.
To join the Blended Burger Project and be eligible to win a $1,000 stipend for an education conference of your choice, it’s as easy as chop, cook and blend. Simply create your favorite blend of finely chopped, umami-rich mushrooms with ground meat in full-size burgers or sliders. Minnesota is famous for the Juicy Lucy and New Jersey gave us the slider; what burger is famous in your state? Use your culinary chops to create your favorite blended burger as an entry for this competition.
As mentioned, the contest winner will receive a $1,000 stipend for an education conference of their choosing. Recipes will be judged on culinary creativity and flavor by a panel of RDBA Advisory Board members and the Mushroom Council team.
Specific rules and entry criteria:
- You must be a dietitian employed by or consulting to a retail grocer and a current member of RDBA.
- Develop a blended burger that consists of at least 25 percent fresh mushrooms. (Any ground protein. Any fresh cultivated mushroom – white button, crimini, portabella, shiitake or oyster. Any favorite seasonings and toppings.)
- Recipes must be appropriate for use in an in-store or media demo or for pitching to a fresh department of your store (deli, meat, RTH, RTE).
- Recipe nutrition should be in line with recommendations in the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Contest submissions must include a photo of the recipe; the photo quality is not included in the contest judging.
- Recipes must be original and not previously published or won other awards.
- Not required, but encouraged: Please share your recipe photo(s) on social media using the hashtag #BlendedBurgerProject.
To enter the contest, enter the following information into this link by June 1, 2019:
- Name, credentials, title, retailer, e-mail address of submitter.
- Name and short description of recipe, recipe with format of "Ingredients" and "Directions," and number of servings. Exact ingredient measurements should be listed and equipment needed for recipe included.
- If nutrition analysis software is available, please provide nutrition for one serving of the recipe.
- A photo of the recipe.
If you have any questions on the contest, please contact RDBA Executive Director Annette Maggi, MS, RDN, LD, FAND at firstname.lastname@example.org.